The general home inspection is a visual and physical inspection of every area of a property from roof to basement including any attached and separate garages. A 400 point FX Inspector written report supported by photographic evidence then follows which then presents any found defects to the client enabling both the seller and buyer to discuss any major or impacting defects prior to concluding the real estate transaction.
Although the most common request for a home inspection comes from the buyer, which in turn may have been requested by the lender in the first instance. It is also a great idea for the seller to invest in a home inspection prior to selling the property so that a transparent approach to the sale can be taken. This may be seen as a bad idea by some as it may reveal things to the buyers that could affect their interest in concluding a sale. Whilst this may be true most buyers appreciate knowing any known defects as soon as possible to avoid any delays moving forward.
There is no set timeframe for a general home inspection but on average a full inspection takes between 2-3 hours. Each home inspector will have their own individual approach to the order in which they work through the property but in general the exterior is the first inspected area followed by any garages (attached or detached) before concluding with the interior of the property.
All of the below items are included in the general home inspection:
- Roof including: Vents, Flashings, Trim, Eaves, Soffits, Fascia’s, Gutters, Downspouts, Chinmey’s and Skylights (If present)
- Decks, Porches, Walkways, Drainage, Electric Supply
- Foundation walls, Crawlspaces
- Electric Service Panel inc: breakers, fuses, amperage & service supply
- Water Heater, Furnace, Shut Off Valves, Sump Pumps,
- Insulation, Ventilation, Ceiling Joists
- Kitchen inc: Cabinets, Sinks, Stoves, Microwave, Dishwasher, Refridgerator
- Bathrooms inc: Sink, Flooring, Tiles, Tub, Shower, Toilet, Waste
- GFCI’S and Electrical Outlets, Grounding & Bonding
- Fireplace inc: Damper Door, Vent & Hearth
- Roof Framing, Flooring Joists
- Insulation, Ventilation
- Garage Doors, Sensors & Openers